This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency. Learn more here.
Sponsored Links

How To Apply For Food Stamps In Michigan

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federally funded program that offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families. The program is run by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). If you live in this state and need to apply for a Michigan Bridge Card, then the information below shows you how to apply for food stamps in Michigan. If you have additional questions or concerns about the Michigan SNAP program or the EBT application process, please contact the Michigan Department of Human Services for assistance.

Applying for Assistance
The Department of Health and Human Services can help you and your family with temporary assistance when times are tough. Use MI Bridges to apply for assistance, check your eligibility status and manage your account online.

Michigan Food Stamp Eligibility
Eligibility is based on the financial situation of all members in a household. Everyone who lives together and purchases and prepares food together is considered a member of the same household group. In general, they will review your expenses, assets, and income to determine what, if any, benefits for which you may be eligible. For questions about the Food Assistance Program, call 855-275-6424.

The SNAP Application
You must complete and submit an application to determine if you are able to receive help with assistance such as food, Medicaid, child care, temporary cash, an emergency, etc., through MDHHS. When you submit an application, you may need to provide information about all of the members in your household. The best way to determine eligibility and apply is online using MI Bridges.

To view or print a paper application, go to Forms/Applications. Application(s) may be hand delivered, mailed or faxed to our local office. DHS can assist you if you need help filling out the application or need someone to read the application to you. You may pick up an application during regular business hours without an appointment. If you are unable to come into the office to complete an application because of a disability, you may contact your local MDHHS Office to request that someone come to your home to help you complete one.

Whenever possible, a MDHHS specialist will meet with you on the same day your application is turned in (not all programs require interviews). Because the specialist may also be seeing people who have appointments before new applicants, you might have to wait before being interviewed.

What Happens When You Apply For Assistance?
You will need to have an interview. Your case is assigned to a Department of Human Services (DHS) specialist who will meet with you if required and process your application. At this time the specialist usually explains:

  • What verifications will be needed;
  • Confidentiality and your right to privacy;
  • Family Automated Screening Tool (FAST) and the Family Self-Sufficiency Plan (FSSP);
  • Jobs, Education and Training (JET);
  • If you have income, how the income is budgeted;
  • How often you will receive your benefits, including food assistance benefits if you are eligible;
  • About Medicaid; and
  • About Child Development and Care to help pay for child care costs.

During your meeting with a DHS specialist, you will be asked to provide proof for most of the information you put on your application. Except for permanent papers like birth certificates, etc., most documents used for proof must be less than 30 days old. They might also need to contact your landlord, child care provider or employer, etc., to verify your situation. Your signature on the application gives them permission to contact individuals, businesses, etc., to verify information.

Some household expenses are taken into account when determining your benefit amount. Examples of some of these expenses include:

  • Shelter (rent, mortgage, heat, electric, water, telephone, etc.).
  • Court-ordered or legally obligated child support payments.
  • Dependent care expenses.
  • Medical (medical and dental care, hospitalization or nursing care, medical supplies, health insurance premiums etc.) for certain members who have a disability or are at least 60 years old.

Asset Limits
The food asset limit is $5,000. Assets are cash or any property you own. Examples of assets are:

  • Cash on hand.
  • Checking and savings accounts.
  • Investments.
  • Some trusts.
  • Property or real estate (excludes first home).
  • Vehicle (one household vehicle will not be counted).

Most earned and unearned income is counted. Income is considered when determining the amount of food assistance you are eligible to receive. Examples of countable income are:

  • Wages.
  • Self-employment earnings.
  • Rental income.
  • Social Security benefits.
  • Veterans benefits.

Residency Requirements
The following residency requirements apply:

  • Must be a U.S. citizen (or acceptable alien status).
  • Must live in Michigan.
Find EBT Store Locations
EBT Applications In Other States
Recent Blog Posts

©2024 All Rights Reserved.