This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency. Learn more here.
Sponsored Links

How To Apply For Food Stamps In District of Columbia

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is a federally funded program that offers nutrition assistance to millions of eligible, low-income individuals and families. The program is run by the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). If you live in this state and need to apply for a D.C. Hunger Solutions Card, then the information below shows you how to apply for food stamps in District of Columbia. If you have additional questions or concerns about the District of Columbia SNAP program or the EBT application process, please contact the D.C. Department of Human Services for assistance.

Washington DC Food Stamp Application Process

Complete an application
Download an application from the D.C. Department of Human Services, Economic Security Administration (ESA) website, or go to the nearest ESA Service Center to pick up an application. Gather the documentation for your application - download a list of the documentation needed to apply.

Submit your application
Take your application to any ESA Service Center. To find center locations, call 202-727-5355. If possible, have enough time to wait for an interview with a caseworker. If not, turn in your application, and be prepared to come back for an interview. You have the right to submit an incomplete application if you have completed and signed the first page. Make sure to get a receipt indicating that you turned in your application.

Meet with an ESA caseworker
Meet with a caseworker for an interview and to complete the application process. They will inform you of any missing documentation and other programs you might be eligible for.

What to bring to your interview
For the ESA office to accept your application, all you need to fill in is your name, address and signature. You can provide the rest of the documentation below at your interview.

Proof of Identity
Bring a photo ID. If you don’t have a photo ID, you can bring along a friend, neighbor, or family member who can verify your name and identity.

Proof that you live in D.C.
Bring a recent rent receipt, copy of your lease, mortgage payment, or your landlord’s name and phone number. Or, you can bring a signed letter from a person you live with stating that you live at that address.

Proof of Income
Bring proof of income for ALL sources of income for all members of the household. This may include your paystubs for the last 30 days, letters from Social Security, VA benefits, pension, unemployment payments, child support, and/or your employer’s name and phone number.

Proof of Housing Expenses
Bring recent rent or mortgage payment receipts. Bring receipts of all recent utility bill(s): phone (including cell), gas, electric, and water. Be sure that all of these documents have your address printed on them.

Income and Other Deductions
You may claim all dependent care costs (child, elderly, disabled, etc.) if necessary for work or employment training. If you are 60 years or over, or receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits or Social Security Disability payments, bring proof of any medical expenses or dental expenses you might have that are in excess of $35/month.

Social Security Number (SSN)
You will need to provide the Social Security Number for everyone who you are applying for. If you do not have a card you can also bring a driver’s license, paystub, unemployment statement, or Social Security Income Award Letter, as long as it has your SSN on it.

Proof of Immigration Status
If you do not have a social security number, you must provide your Alien ID Number. You should bring the immigration and naturalization papers for yourself or whomever you are applying for. Your papers are not required if you only are applying for your children who were born in the United States

If you cannot make it to the ESA office, you can assign someone to be your authorized representative. Your authorized representative should be someone you trust. All you need to do is to check the boxes on the SNAP application that lets someone act on your behalf. You can have that person attend the interview, file your paperwork, and/or use your EBT card for you. If you cannot get to the ESA office because of sickness, disability or some other “good reason”, you can request a phone interview. The ESA office is working to allow for more phone interviews so eventually most applicants will be able to waive the face-to-face interview.

Pick up DC EBT card if approved
The ESA office has 30 days to inform you if you qualify for SNAP/Food Stamps (7 days for emergency SNAP/Food Stamps). You will receive a letter in the mail stating if you qualify and how much your benefit amount will be. You must then pick up your EBT card at one of the two EBT training centers located at 661 H Street, NE and 1649 Good Hope Rd, SE.

Keep up with the food stamp program
Every household must complete and send in a mid-certification form halfway through their certification period. Watch for the form in the mail. You must complete and send in this form or your benefits will end. If there is ever a change to any of the information you stated on your application (e.g., income, address) you must inform the ESA Service Center. You can fill out a change form at your assigned service center, or call (202) 727-6600 or (202) 727-5355.

Find EBT Store Locations
EBT Applications In Other States
Recent Blog Posts

©2024 All Rights Reserved.